Tuesday 19 November 2013

with my head and not my heart

*sigh*

this week I've attempted any number of times to make a post. I think and think about something to write about, and then I start it. usually I have a whole bunch of half formed ideas rolling around in my head on that subject, and when I try and spit them out, they end up all jumbled and messy and not really what I think I'm trying to say. so I just left all of them to be finished at a later date when those thoughts become more fully formed.

I wasn't exactly sure why I was having this problem, but as I was talking to my dear friend last night, I was saying that my walk with God (and much of how I've been going through life lately) felt very much right now like I was doing it with my head and not my heart. I've been faithful at reading the Bible, and mostly faithful at praying, I have lovely blogs that I follow, I've been going to church, I have praise music on almost all the time, so it's not like I've 'taken a break' from any of those activities. I just feel like it's all so 'half-there'. it's so much easier for me to just read my chapter or two of the Bible for the day then it is to journal, and even praying feels sort of fake. I've tried crying out to God, asking Him to let this be more real again, let me feel it. and nothing happens. this isn't a case of my not believing anything about Him, I truly believe that He is there, and He loves us, and "all that". I just don't feel it. I'm sure that it's something going on on my side (after all He's not left me, or anything, He's still where He was), but I DON'T KNOW HOW TO GET OUT OF IT!!

but then I was thinking about it. and I realized that it's what we do when we don't feel like it, that's what makes us grow. it's easy to follow Christ when you feel like it, when there's depth in your relationship, when everything is going good. but it's when it's not so easy to follow Him that we show what we're made of, and how strong is that grace that saved us.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. ~Romans 8:38-39

I can't wait until I start moving through life with God with my heart again! but right now I'm going to be faithfully walking with my head. if you are going through a similar experience, keep plugging away! if we all waited until we felt like it to do anything, we wouldn't do anything! rather, at some point, the feelings will follow the actions. prayin for y'all!

love Em

No comments:

Post a Comment