Saturday 13 April 2013

'Giving Thanks in a Bad Day' or 'It's Your Choice'

It turned out that yesterday I didn't have much access to a computer. I did write this post yesterday (yes! with a pencil and paper! lol) but I just didn't get to post it. Sorry. Here ya go! 

"Today started off a bit disappointing. I get up and head downstairs to check my email, eat breakfast, and get lunch together for my Homeschool Highschool Co-op, only to find that because of an ice storm (yes folks, you hear right! an ice storm in April in Southwest Ontario!) the city school buses are canceled, and so my day out is too.

First thought: well today is going to suck. (I have been told that I use the word 'suck' too much... I am working on that... but please note that I use the word more lightly than I believe most people read/hear it.)

I had been looking forward to today all week. As I continued to grumble to myself about how my day was ruined, and it wasn't going to be any fun, I realized something. If I wanted this day to fail, it would! But I had power! If I wanted this day to be awesome - it would! But I can tell you first hand that for most people, including me, it is not easy to just 'turn your day around'. 

So you have to start with the small things. I am a morning person, and I love to bake. I wasn't going to go back to bed, so I decided to do something I can't normally do on a Friday morning - make muffins for breakfast! I looked outside, and despite how much I really hated the ice at that moment - I had to admit that it did look really pretty. Sometimes if we let go of our frustration and step back, the thing that caused us to be so angry can turn out to be beautiful. And if you waste time being angry you will miss it! That same ice that canceled all the school buses also made it too dangerous for my dad to drive to work so he worked from home and we all got to eat lunch together as a family. 

You have to look around for the small things that God gives you. If you aren't looking, or you are just to mad inside, you will miss them. I got to spend the rest of the morning curled up in bed with a good book. I spent my afternoon catching up on schoolwork. None of those things could I have done if I had been at CHILL. And you know what? By supper time, the ice on the roads all melted and it was safe to drive to youth group for games night after all!

You've all heard this before. Is the glass half full or half empty.  'count your blessings'. But it's true, and I just wanted to share my little experience with this with you. 

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
 Rejoice always, pray continuously, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. "

That's a subject that I am continuing to learn more about and the more I learn, the 'more cool' I think it is! Look for more from me on giving thanks! :)

On another note, in about 2 1/2 hours (9am ET) I am running my first ever 5km race! And the weather is supposed to be really cold and rainy and I am getting really nervous now! Any prayers would thoroughly be appreciated! thanks!

love emma xoxo 

photos courtesy of my brother, Owen

photos courtesy of my brother, Owen

1 comment:

  1. Emma I love that verse! Thank you for sharing! It takes great strength to turn something like that around!
    Blessings,
    Cassidy

    ReplyDelete